Individual Membership Applications
Qualifications: To apply for an individual membership, you must satisfy all of the following conditions.
(1) At least two years have passed since you graduated from a college, or you are currently registered in a doctoral course at a graduate school (you are a PhD candidate).
(2) Your area of research is economics.
(3) You are referred by two (non-student) members of the Japanese Economic Association.
- Application Form: Please fill out the application form in MS Word format (link below) and send the file as an email attachment to the JEA Secretariat Office (office[at]jeaweb[dot]org) with the subject "Application for JEA membership". When you send the email message, please cc it to the two referees as well, to verify their email addresses. (Please replace "[at]" by "@" and "[dot]" by ".".)
- Fees: The annual membership fee (April to March) is JPY 12,000. The student membership fee is JPY 6,000. To be eligible for a student membership, please send a certificate of your student status for the relevant academic year to the JEA Secretariat Office. Both types of members receive a subscription to the Japanese Economic Review. Regulations of the JEA (in Japanese) are available here.
- Official approval: JEA officially approves memberships once a year, at the annual members' meeting of the association.
The JEA Secretariat Office (Mailing address):
Sankyo Bldg. 703, 1-7-10, Iidabashi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 102-0072, Japan.
Tel: +81-(0)3-5211-5707/Fax: +81-(0)3-5211-5065
Office hours: 10:00-17:00 (weekdays)
Please replace "[at]" by "@" and "[dot]" by ".".
(Temporary Membership) Once your application form and membership fee are received by the JEA Secretariat Office, you become a temporary member and can enjoy the benefits of membership (for example, you may submit your work for possible presentations at our bi-annual meetings, and will receive a copy of the Japanese Economic Review).
Membership Fee Rules
- The JEA accounting year is from April to March.
- The annual membership fee is JPY 12,000. The reduced student membership fee (JPY 6,000) is applicable to graduate students upon receipt of a certificate of their student status for the relevant academic year.
- A former member who wishes to join the JEA must pay all outstanding fees, if any.
- New members must pay the full amount of the annual membership fee, even if the approval is made during the academic year. New members must pay the fee within sixty days of the official approval of their membership. (Footnote: New members who wish to make a presentation at a meeting may have an earlier deadline for fee payment. Please refer to the announcement of the relevant meeting.)
Application Form Download
Please download the membership application form here. When you send the email message, please cc it to the two referees as well, to verify their email addresses.
Change of Address Notification Form
If you change your address and /or the affiliation, Please let us know by e-mail.
An invoice-a transfer form of the Japan Post Bank-is sent by mid-April to each member's registered mailing address. If you have changed addresses, please intimate the secretariat office through the change of address notification form.
Members who live in Japan are requested to use the Japan Post Bank form-which contains the membership ID information-whenever possible. The details of the JEA account at the Japan Post Bank can be found on our Japanese website.
Members who live outside Japan, or who have difficulty using the Japan Post Bank, can contact the secretariat office for an alternative payment method.
Home > Membership